Quitting your job to start an online business is a big decision. It’s not easy, and there are definitely risks involved. But if you’re motivated enough, it can be done! Here are some tips on how to get started:
Decide what kind of business you want:
Remember always, why you want to quit your current job – it’s because you want to enjoy your work more and in the process, earn more money.
I have seen a lot of people fail in their startups because they choose a niche only because they think it will give them financial freedom. They don’t remember that they did have money coming from their job already. What they lacked was the passion for that job. So if there is no passion in the area they want to do business then they won’t find the motivation to keep working at it hard.
So, go into a niche that excites you, motivates you and you know that even when things get tough, you will have the motivation to get up from your bed to go to work because you have passion for it.
Do research on the different types of businesses options:
- Find out the intricacies of the niche you are going into. Ask yourself,
- how do you feel about selling products to consumers?
- Would you find it exciting to sell a small ticket item and sell lots of them? Or you would rather sell big-ticket items even if the volume is lower?
- Or should you sell your expertise in the form of service?
Choose your platform carefully:
No matter whether you are selling products or offering services. You need to be very careful in choosing the platform for your business from an online perspective because you don’t want any IT related headache and become a victim of web developers and other technical professionals spinning you around.
- If you are thinking about opening up an online store, don’t look anywhere else but Shopify as the platform. Read – How to Sign Up to Shopify?
- If you are offering a service, use WordPress. You might find a lot of people saying a lot of things about WordPress but it is still the most effective platform since you will have lots of options to get help when you need it.
Start small and grow slowly:
Don’t try to conquer the world in one day! You will be going through a steep learning curve. So don’t try to fry all the eggs on day one. It’s ok to start small. You will make mistakes so if it is small, you will learn your lessons before it becomes too big a problem.
Be prepared for hard work:
Only a few people get overnight success. That’s why you find such a small group of people becoming successful. It’s not the norm. You need to work hard, long hours and you need to be prepared for that. That’s why, as I mentioned before, you need to have passion for what you are doing.
Focus on easier marketing channels:
- Marketing is key to your business, otherwise how else you are going to let people know that you are open for business?
- Focus on the easier channels. I will suggest the following in priority order (note – this is general and may be different for your particular business)
- Email marketing
- Organic growth via Instagram
- Search Engine optimisation (SEO)
- Paid marketing on Facebook + Instagram
I hope the above information is helpful. Leave your comment below if you find it useful and feel free to ask any questions. I will be glad to answer them.
P.S – If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment in the comment section below.
Or book a 30-minute free session with me to discuss your website needs.